Tuesday, March 16, 2010

M is for Monday...oh and Maple Glazed Salmon

Hello World,
Long time no chat.....trying I am trying lol. Ironically I am currently fighting a cold and have temporarily lost my voice (hoping the hot tea and lack of talking tonight will help for tomorrow) leaving me with the second best way of communicating...blogging! Drum roll please... Anyways it is about time that I share with my followers this awesome recipe that I have been talking up a storm about. Let me know what you think or if you have any recommendations on making it better. I got this recipe from a night cooking class that I took at William Sonoma. Enjoy!

Maple Glazed Salmon:
Serves:6
What to Buy/and how much:
1 cup Maple Syrup
2 tablespoons finely grated peeled fresh giner root (I bought the pre cut stuff, worked just fine)
4 tablespooons of fresh lemon juice (~2 lemons)
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
2 1/2 pound center cut salomn fillet with skin (good place to buy is costco)
greens from 1 bunch of scallions

1) In a small heavy saucepan simmer maple syrup, giner root, 3 tablespoons lemon juice, soy sauve garlic, and salt and pepper to taste (sprinkle salt and pepper) reduce over heat until about 1 cup (30 minutes) then let the sauce cool to room temperature. My teached emphasized that it is important that you let this chill after you reduce it. Also the glaze can be made 2 days ahead and chilled, covered however if you do this bring the glas back to room temerature before proceeding.

2) Preheat over to 350 degrees. Place baking paper (NOT wax paper) along a baking pan large enough to hold salmon, the baking paper will protect pans from the glaze. Arrange scallion greens in one layer on the baking pan to form a bed for the fish.

3) In another small saucepan heat half of the glaze over low heat until heated through to use as a sauce. Stir in remaining lemon juice. Remove pan from heat and keep warm and covered.

4) Put salmon, skin side down, on scallion greens and brush with remaining glaze. Season slamon with salt and peper and roast in middle of the oven until just cooked through, about 20 minutes.

5) Cut salmon crosswise into 6 pieces. On each of the plates arrange salmon and scallion greens on a bed of mashed patatoes. Drizzle salmon with warm sauce. Enjoy!

More to come tomorrow in terms of pictures and updates! :)

No comments: